Increase your comfort & competence in traffic!
No matter what your experience level and what type of riding you do, or want to do • commuting • recreational • touring • triathlon/sport/competitive • this course will help.
- Learn proven on-road techniques.
- Find out the laws that apply to cyclists in the USA.
Valuable for experienced riders as well as beginners.
“Do I have to ride at the edge of the road, or can I control my lane?” • “How can I encourage drivers to give me enough space, and cooperate with me?” • “What rights do I have on the road, and what laws do I need to follow?”
- 5 hours of core, interactive content incorporating video, descriptive text, photos, graphics, animations, and quizzes. Plus, additional optional information and techniques. All put into practice by North America's most experienced and skilled instructors.
- Learn from wherever you are, at your own pace.
- View it all at once or a bit at a time.
- Return as often as you like to review and improve.
Only $35 US for a full year of access!
I'm certain that you'll gain valuable insights you can use on your very next ride. If for any reason you’re not fully satisfied, your money will be refunded.
-- Allan Dunlop, The Center for Cycling Education
To learn more about this and other online courses, visit our website: https://thecce.org/online-courses/
Please note: This course is not eligible for dismissing a traffic ticket. Instead, choose the course for your location:
- Discover the rights you have as a cyclist.
- Explore proven ways to encourage more drivers to respect them.
- Know the laws that apply to you on the road.
- Understand the impact of your actions in traffic, and how you can bring about positive interactions.
- Gain significant skills to help you be more competent & comfortable riding in traffic.
- Reduce your likelihood of being in a collision or receiving a traffic citation.
By completing/passing this course, you will attain the certificate Traffic Smarts USA: Certificate of Completion
Terms and Conditions
(Updated April 20, 2023)
By accessing content on our website or in the online courses, you agree to the terms and conditions set forth below.
- This is not legal advice
- Limitation of liability
- Online course access
- Hardware requirements
- Required browser settings for viewing courses
- Ticket dismissal course – important information
This is not legal advice
- The content on this site and within the online courses is for informational purposes only, and is not to be considered legal advice.
- The information contained within applies to general principles of law, and might not reflect the latest legal developments or changes to statutes. If you are involved in any legal proceedings related to cycling, seek the advice of legal counsel.
Limitation of liability
- By accessing the information on the site or any course content, the participant understands, agrees, warrants, and covenants as follows:
I hereby make known that I will hold blameless in the case of accident, injury, or damage of any kind, the Center for Cycling Education, its officers and volunteers, as well as any individual or agency associated with content development or delivery. I recognize that bicycling, like all forms of travel on public roads and streets, is potentially dangerous, and I apply any of the information contained in the course at my own risk.
- By enrolling in a course, the participant acknowledges and agree to the following:
- The liability of the course provider, its employees and agents for any act, omission to act, or negligence on the part of the course provider and their agents and employees, is strictly limited to and shall not exceed the amount of the registration fee actually paid by the participant.
- The participant represents and warrants that the user information and registration information provided by the participant is true and correct. The participant further acknowledges and agrees that any willful or intentional misrepresentation by the participant regarding such user information or registration information constitutes a breach of this agreement.
Online course access
- From the time you purchase the course, you have full access to the material for one year.
- After completing the course, you may come back any time within your access period to review the content.
- The course will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This availability may be affected by circumstances such as, but not limited to, system, site or connectivity failure over which the course provider has no control.
- To listen to narration of the main content and videos (optional), use a device equipped with speakers.
Our courses are supported on most popular browsers, including:
On these browsers, our courses support the most recent major version, the previous major version, and the mobile versions of these browsers. As these browsers are updated routinely, you can find which version is the most recent on the corresponding browser’s website.
Internet Explorer 11 is not supported. (Microsoft ended support for Internet Explorer 11 in June 2022. As a result, LearnUpon doesn’t support IE 11.)
Using a supported browser, to make sure LearnUpon runs correctly, set the following options:
- enable cookies
- use TLS v1.2 or later
You may also need:
- Local storage enabled
- Pop-up blockers disabled
Warning: Adobe stopped supporting Flash Player on 31 December 2020, and blocked Flash content from running in Flash Player from 12 January 2021. Adobe strongly recommends all users immediately uninstall Flash Player to help protect their systems.
Our course output supports the following screen readers plus Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 Level AA and Revised Section 508 standards. See the Voluntary Product Accessibility Template® (VPAT®) for details.
NVDA (latest version)
JAWS (latest version)
VoiceOver in Apple iOS
VoiceOver in Apple iPadOS
TalkBack (latest version) for Android OS
Ticket dismissal course – important information
In order for a certificate to be issued, you must provide your complete and correct Court case (’cause’) number.
- Austin: AMC000##### (Search for your case number here. )
- Houston: 4-digit year + ‘TR’ + 7-digit number — e.g., 2022TRXXXXXXX
- San Marcos: 4-digit year + 6-digit number — e.g., 2022XXXXXX
- Travis County: ‘J5-CR’ (‘Justice of the Peace, Precinct 5’) + 2-digit year + 6-digit number — e.g., J5-CR-22XXXXXX
- Waller County: ‘T’ + two-digit year + 4-digit number + JP1 — e.g., T22-XXXX-JP1
- Without this number, a certificate cannot be issued. A traffic citation/ticket number cannot be accepted. We cannot be responsible for any delay in submission of your Certificate of Completion if the necessary information is not provided.
It is your responsibility to successfully complete the course (with a score of 80% or greater) in advance of your certificate submission deadline:
- No later than 7 days before the deadline for Austin or Houston.
- No later than 14 days before the deadline for Travis County or San Marcos. See below for details.
Upon successful completion of the course, a Certificate of Completion will be prepared and delivered within five (5) business days. You will be copied on this email:
- Austin, Houston and Waller County, TX: A PDF version of the certificate will be emailed directly to the Court. You will be copied on this email.
- Travis County & San Marcos, TX: A PDF version of the certificate along with an accompanying letter will be emailed to you, which you must print out (the certificate must be in color) and mail or take in to the Court.
- Once the certificate is processed by the Court, the fine will be waived and the ticket dismissed.
- You have full access to this course for one year from the date of purchase. This is independent of the Court deadline.
- Completing the course after the completion / certificate submission deadline is not cause for a refund.
If you have any questions at all, please feel free to contact us by email, phone or text.
Your cart is empty